Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Tune of the Month
After several months trying to resurrect this Forum I guess I have to admit defeat. 
Therefore as a final Tune of the Month  I would suggest " Chopin's Sonato No.2 in B flat minor, OP.35"  unfortunately was not able to provide the tabs for this one Angel
Don't go just yet....

Here's a nice simple tune  I've also submitted elsewhere. I learned it on the clarsach but it's nice on mandolin too.

Attached Files
.pdf   Pier of Bowmore.pdf (Size: 7.81 KB / Downloads: 8)
(23-04-2018, 11:15 AM)JAJ Wrote: Don't go just yet....

Here's a nice simple tune  I've also submitted elsewhere. I learned it on the clarsach but it's nice on mandolin too.
JAJ 

nice tune  and hoping to play it soon on mandolin, great you are not letting the Forum die, it such a shame to let it go. Nigel's too busy but we could keep it alive especially as most other sites are from over the pond.

Drew
(23-04-2018, 05:57 PM)Alcluith Wrote:
(23-04-2018, 11:15 AM)JAJ Wrote: Don't go just yet....

JAJ 

nice tune  and hoping to play it soon on mandolin, great you are not letting the Forum die, it such a shame to let it go. Nigel's too busy but we could keep it alive especially as most other sites are from over the pond.

Drew

Interesting tune, and a new one to me, JAJ.  What speed would you play it at?  It has some echoes of a retreat march but may also be slip jig or (?)  Bowmore is a great wee spot with a super distillery.

The forum heaves a sigh of relief, Drew, and breathes on!
I've not heard a commercial recording although Wendy Stewart plays it on one of her instruction CDs.
I don't think it's meant to played too fast though and sounds best at a nice steady pace.
Apparently, it is from The Mackay Collection and will be late 18th or early 19th century. There seems to be a piping influence in his collection.
It's 9/8 time which is the same as a slip jig but it is maybe meant to be a type of "retreat". I don't know.

Incidentally, I find that many tunes played by harpists work well on the mandolin too. Maybe something to do with shorter "sustain" on the notes as opposed to that on some other instruments.
Hi folks.

Just posted a new tune in the Scottish section for your delight tonight or today if you prefer. Smile