Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Competition or Co-operation
It's a long time (maybe a couple of years) since I went to either of the sessions mentioned (Canons' Gait and Nigel's Slow Session at Leslie's Bar). This is partly because Edinburgh Folk Club meets on the same night and there are various things I want to go to there. But I did find the CG session very repetitive, and often tunes were played too fast (especially those that are supposed to be slower, such as waltzes and slow airs). I did prefer Nigel's session for the greater variety in repertoire as well as being slower, and his encouragement to individual players to pick and lead a tune (or even, heaven help us, a song!)
I do owe a lot to Nigel's slow session in my early days of learning my current main instrument. However, nowadays, I really prefer playing with friends in our own houses, possibly practising for a gig, and then going out to play said gig, as well as playing with 2 ceilidh bands: so yes, a bit more structured.
Those sessions I do go to tend to be in other areas where repertoire is more varied, and new tunes are more welcomed, or not looked upon with suspicion or the "daggers" stare.

Messages In This Thread
Competition or Co-operation - by JAJ - 13-12-2016, 11:05 AM
RE: Competition or Co-operation - by Eric R - 13-12-2016, 11:24 AM
RE: Competition or Co-operation - by Jack Campin - 13-12-2016, 12:42 PM
RE: Competition or Co-operation - by Eric R - 14-12-2016, 05:43 PM
RE: Competition or Co-operation - by JAJ - 13-12-2016, 01:21 PM
RE: Competition or Co-operation - by Jack Campin - 14-12-2016, 11:00 PM
RE: Competition or Co-operation - by Trish Santer - 17-12-2016, 01:39 AM