Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi Guys...
Alcluith has got the ball rolling by expressing a wish for discussion. This week we looked at 'Hector the Hero' and various embellishments which could be added. It was quite hard, but I think most of the class appreciated it.
(02-11-2016, 02:00 PM)nigelgatherer Wrote: Alcluith has got the ball rolling by expressing a wish for discussion. This week we looked at 'Hector the Hero' and various embellishments which could be added. It was quite hard, but I think most of the class appreciated it.
Some great information this week on the various embellishments, The one I am finding hard is the Hammer on I can get the technique but just cannot get the volume on the Hammer, with my middle finger.  I am currently working on trying to strengthen my right hand (remembering I am left handed) to see if I can  build up some better action. A guitar tutor suggested that I use "Grip Master"  has anyone used one of these? and if so was it useful?

cheers 

Drew
Alcluith
Why not just strengthen all your fingers by playing two-octave scales (major, natural minor, harmonic minor and melodic minor) starting on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers (each of these involves a different finger stretch). If you extend these to thirds, fourths etc it's even better. There is a new 'exercise' book (not a tutor) called the Mandolin Companion by Alison Stephens (who started it off) and Chris Acquavella (a former student of hers who finished it). You can buy it from Astute Music and I, and others, highly recommend it.

Happy plinking,
Eric