Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody here got a good sound recorder and know how to use it?
I want to make a few demo recordings.  These are for a young guy in England who I've been helping out as he's been developing folk-oriented ocarinas - I've got samples of his stuff (which is now among the best in the world) and I'd like to show what it can do.  But I absolutely detest recording, and the most sophisticated equipment I've got is an Olympus dictaphone (perfectly okay for getting a tune in a class or session, but the highest quality format it can produce is WMA).

Anybody up for doing some better audio or video recordings at suitably atmospheric locations around Edinburgh?  Arrangements will be minimal - a drone or a drum - since the point is to show the instruments off.
http://www.campin.me.uk/
07895 860 060
Don't know if you are looking to add to your own recording gear (seems unlikely since you say that you absolutely detest recording, Jack) but should you be you might take a trip to Red Dog Music in the Grassmarket, where you will see a great range of very good personal recorders on show such as the Zoom range. Would be ideal for what you have in mind as they are very portable and run on batteries while giving you high-quality recordings with not a lot of effort. Prices start at £79 for the Zoom H1. I'd imagine that there are several of our posters here who might well have access to one of the Zoom recorders or equivalent brands such as Tascam.

I hasten to add that I have no connection with the shop other than as a browsing customer when I am in Edinburgh! My own music shop of choice is AdLib Music in Greenock, just across the Clyde from me.
I have an older generation Zoom recorder H4 (which I just happened to get from Red Dog music too!) It cost about £200 when I bought it maybe 6 years ago, but as happens with some tech stuff, newer models are better and possibly cheaper! And as John has said, there are a simpler and cheaper versions from the same stable. I have been constantly surprised and delighted at the quality you get from it, and how it can pick up all the instruments in a mass group of 10-20 people when you just plonk it down somewhere in front of them all: runs on an SD card (the older ones, such as mine, would only take 2GB cards which are getting harder to get but newer ones take higher GB cards). The main drawback with mine is the very small screen, but newer ones have bigger screens. There are facilities for 4-tracking and direct inputs which I've never used. I usually upload into Garageband (Mac) for editing, then share to iTunes, then burn to CD or email to those who want tracks. Formats are AAC at various levels with option to convert (or record) as mp3.
(28-10-2016, 12:19 AM)Trish Santer Wrote: I have an older generation Zoom recorder H4 (which I just happened to get from Red Dog music too!) It cost about £200 when I bought it maybe 6 years ago, but as happens with some tech stuff, newer models are better and possibly cheaper! And as John has said, there are a simpler and cheaper versions from the same stable. I have been constantly surprised and delighted at the quality you get from it, and how it can pick up all the instruments in a mass group of 10-20 people when you just plonk it down somewhere in front of them all: runs on an SD card (the older ones, such as mine, would only take 2GB cards which are getting harder to get but newer ones take higher GB cards). The main drawback with mine is the very small screen, but newer ones have bigger screens. There are facilities for 4-tracking and direct inputs which I've never used. I usually upload into Garageband (Mac) for editing, then share to iTunes, then burn to CD or email to those who want tracks. Formats are AAC at various levels with option to convert (or record) as mp3.

It’s surprising how good the iPhone Voice Recorder app. is. The down side is you can’t set the input volume but for solo (single track) recordings that’s not really a problem. It will export in .m4a and can be fed into something like GarageBand, Sound Studio or most other fairly basic setups. I did read somewhere a while ago that a good acoustician, with basic recording equipment, will always get a better recording than an amature with the best of equipment.
Cheaper to buy a Zoom than an iPhone (or even take out an iPhone contract!) But take your point, George!
However it is handy having one machine that will do everything, like I still use a standard digital camera for taking photos, but then have to wait to upload to computer, etc, before I can email or add to Facebook.
The other recorder that was on the go when I bought mine was the Edirol.