Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
250 to vigo
Hi 

I was wondering if anyone regularly plays 250 to Vigo and whether they bar the strings for the B/F, F/C and G/D parts or whether they use separate fingers? I’m struggling to get clear notes when barring as it’s fairly new to me. Any advice would be much appreciated. PDF of music attached. Thank you.

Attached Files
.pdf   250 to Vigo Treble.pdf (Size: 137.35 KB / Downloads: 14)
(13-04-2021, 03:00 PM)aliceb Wrote: Hi 

I was wondering if anyone regularly plays 250 to Vigo and whether they bar the strings for the B/F, F/C and G/D parts or whether they use separate fingers? I’m struggling to get clear notes when barring as it’s fairly new to me. Any advice would be much appreciated. PDF of music attached. Thank you.

Alice, are you playing it on mandolin or fiddle?  I am guessing fiddle as you talk about F and C rather than F# and C# and I know that this is a common nomenclature used by the fiddle players I usually play along with.  I am a mandolin and guitar player and I tend to barre those notes which share a fret, as you mention in your question.  In fact, rather than a barre I am lucky to be able to cover two string courses with one finger, so this makes it easier (and is still a partial barre).   I play fiddle at a very primitive level and can manage this on the fiddle too.  Can I suggest that you try to place your finger between the two strings rather than favouring one over the other, to get even pressure on both.
Now await the other responses!
(14-04-2021, 11:19 AM)John Kelly Wrote:

Alice, are you playing it on mandolin or fiddle?  I am guessing fiddle as you talk about F and C rather than F# and C# and I know that this is a common nomenclature used by the fiddle players I usually play along with.  I am a mandolin and guitar player and I tend to barre those notes which share a fret, as you mention in your question.  In fact, rather than a barre I am lucky to be able to cover two string courses with one finger, so this makes it easier (and is still a partial barre).   I play fiddle at a very primitive level and can manage this on the fiddle too.  Can I suggest that you try to place your finger between the two strings rather than favouring one over the other, to get even pressure on both.

Thanks John, I’ll give that a go! I play mandolin - just too lazy to put in the # in my initial message. Thanks for the tip - much appreciated.
(14-04-2021, 01:27 PM)aliceb Wrote:

Thanks John, I’ll give that a go! I play mandolin - just too lazy to put in the # in my initial message. Thanks for the tip - much appreciated.

Now that I know it is a mandolin, Alice, I can offer you another suggestion to try as well - I have been playing through 250 To Vigo from your pdf and you can try rocking your finger on the notes.  Place your fingertip on the F then flatten it slightly to play the C with the pad of your finger.  By using a rocking motion between the two notes you do not need the barre as such;  you do not lift your finger - just rock!  Any pairs of notes on the same fret can be played this way, you fingertip on the lower note then rocking to the higher one.

Anything I can help with, please feel free to get in touch.   I have a lot of mandolin tunes on my YouTube channel if you want to have a look or listen.  Here is a link to it: John Kelly's YT Channel.
(14-04-2021, 02:26 PM)John Kelly Wrote:

Now that I know it is a mandolin, Alice, I can offer you another suggestion to try as well - I have been playing through 250 To Vigo from your pdf and you can try rocking your finger on the notes.  Place your fingertip on the F then flatten it slightly to play the C with the pad of your finger.  By using a rocking motion between the two notes you do not need the barre as such;  you do not lift your finger - just rock!  Any pairs of notes on the same fret can be played this way, you fingertip on the lower note then rocking to the higher one.

Anything I can help with, please feel free to get in touch.   I have a lot of mandolin tunes on my YouTube channel if you want to have a look or listen.  Here is a link to it: John Kelly's YT Channel.

Thanks John. That’s great advice - both options are making it MUCH easier.
(16-04-2021, 08:22 AM)aliceb Wrote:
(14-04-2021, 02:26 PM)John Kelly Wrote:

Thanks John. That’s great advice - both options are making it MUCH easier.

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.  We are all in the same boat with our attempts to improve our playing and our enjoyment of the mandolin.  It has been such a huge bonus during the past year when we have had to adapt to new ways of living our daily lives.