Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iona Theme
For a while, I have been looking for the tune "Iona Theme" by Billy Jackson of Ossian, just cannot find it anywhere on the internet.
I have the other two tunes  "The Cunning Workman" and "Columba" which is parts of  Ossian's  "Iona Theme" on their Album "Dove Across The Water".
sadly still do not have the skills to play by ear yet so still need the music.

Alcluith
Music 2 
Iona Theme

[Image: tQyCg3L.jpg]

Iona Theme appears twice on Ossian's 1982 album Dove Across the Water; first in 3/4, and later in 4/4. Click on the image to access the tune in standard notation and mandolin tablature.
Nigel,

Thank you for that and the added bonus of your own composition to add to the set.
My brother is a keen Ossian fan and had ties with Iona on his younger days being part of the Iona community youth group.

Looking forward to the other two Hebridean Hopscoth books, another great resource

Drew
Nigel,

Having looked at the music for the Iona Theme I noted the chords and finding it hard to understand how you derived at them. I have been trying to put chords into music but have always taken that the first note of a bar should be the root of the appropriate chord. Looking at Iona Theme I note that most bars have the notes of the given chord but is there any rules for deriving which chord to use?

Maybe another one of your Tutorial guides for the future.

Drew
(30-03-2021, 09:06 AM)Alcluith Wrote: Nigel,

Having looked at the music for the Iona Theme I noted the chords and finding it hard to understand how you derived at them. I have been trying to put chords into music but have always taken that the first note of a bar should be the root of the appropriate chord. Looking at Iona Theme I note that most bars have the notes of the given chord but is there any rules for deriving which chord to use?  

Maybe another one of your Tutorial guides for the future.

Drew

Strangely I had a look at the Iona Theme a couple of days ago while browsing on the Session web site and noticed that it had been posted by Nigel!!  I played it through a couple of times but did not really like the tune.  The last few bars seemed out of place and I could not see any connection with Iona.  I am not sure what speed it should be played.  I think abc notation has a default of 120 bpm but perhaps it should be slower.  

There is a lot of great tunes on this site.  It is a pity that the forum is not used more.  Is it still accepting new members?
Drifter - over the past few years I've had health problems as well as a punishing work schedule (largely self-imposed to be honest), so I haven't given this forum the attention it should have. My health is good at the moment, and because of the pandemic I have less time on the road and more time at home, so my ambition is to develop the forum more. Fingers crossed.