Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valley of Strathmore
Does any of the members have the music for Andy M Stewart's Valley of Strathmore, I have been looking for it for some time without any success.

cheers

Alcluith
(01-02-2020, 11:45 AM)Alcluith Wrote: Does any of the members have the music for Andy M Stewart's Valley of Strathmore, I have been looking for it for some time without any success.

cheers

Alcluith

Is this what you are looking for?
http://www.folktunefinder.com/tunes/19056
There is also a lovely waltz called "Bonnie Strathmore" written by Gordon Pattullo, but Drifter seems to have found your tune along with lyrics.
Good to see activity here again, folks.
(01-02-2020, 11:36 PM)John Kelly Wrote: There is also a lovely waltz called "Bonnie Strathmore" written by Gordon Pattullo, but Drifter seems to have found your tune along with lyrics.
Hi John,  Could only find Bonnie Strathmore as a jig not a watlz.  Suppose it would be easy to convert but wonder if it is the same tune.

Attached Files
.pdf   Bonnie_Strathmore.pdf (Size: 14.28 KB / Downloads: 3)
(01-02-2020, 06:14 PM)Drifter Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 11:45 AM)Alcluith Wrote: Does any of the members have the music for Andy M Stewart's Valley of Strathmore, I have been looking for it for some time without any success.

cheers

Alcluith

Is this what you are looking for?
http://www.folktunefinder.com/tunes/19056

Thanks Drifter, 
I did find that in the ABC but I was not sure if it was the same tune albeit the words are the same. I will have to have a few plays through to see if I can get a handle to it.

cheers 
Alcuith
(02-02-2020, 07:45 AM)Drifter Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 11:36 PM)John Kelly Wrote: There is also a lovely waltz called "Bonnie Strathmore" written by Gordon Pattullo, but Drifter seems to have found your tune along with lyrics.
Hi John,  Could only find Bonnie Strathmore as a jig not a watlz.  Suppose it would be easy to convert but wonder if it is the same tune.

Interesting, Drew.  This is not the Pattullo tune and is indeed a jig.  I believe that waltzes still have no category over on The Session and my first thought was that this had happened to the waltz, but not the case when I see your pdf.  I do not want to post Gordon's tune as it is in a book of his own compositions and will have copyright restrictions.
Hi John,

I ave been trying again to get a little life back into this forum as I think t could be a great resource same as the Mandolin Cafe and the Session but with a more Scottish slant to it. 
Nigel  is so busy that I feel he cannot promote it the same as the other forums.
I was hoping that others would take up the challenge, I am sure a lot more use Nigel's website, as at the great resource it,   for Scottish tunes and songs. But I feel the Forum could be used more for exchanging ideas, requests etc which would bring it alive.
Just seen your reply about the Waltz and appreciate the copyright issues.
Cheers
Drew (Alcluith)

Thanks Drifter

See John's reply 

cheers

Drew (Alcluith)

(02-02-2020, 09:34 AM)John Kelly Wrote:

Interesting, Drew.  This is not the Pattullo tune and is indeed a jig.  I believe that waltzes still have no category over on The Session and my first thought was that this had happened to the waltz, but not the case when I see your pdf.  I do not want to post Gordon's tune as it is in a book of his own compositions and will have copyright restrictions.
Hi John

Thank you for that waltz info, I was able to get it from Gordon's website along with a couple of other tunes, including the lovely "The Angels of Dunblane".  also from your guidance I play "The Furrows End" another of his composition.

cheers

Drew
Here is my attempt at the Valley of Strathmore.  I found the timing awkward at one place (about bar 20/21) I transposed it into C to make it easier.
https://soundcloud.com/chris-wilson-5339...-harmonica
(02-02-2020, 05:46 PM)Drifter Wrote: Here is my attempt at the Valley of Strathmore.  I found the timing awkward at one place (about bar 20/21) I transposed it into C to make it easier.
https://soundcloud.com/chris-wilson-5339...-harmonica

Drifter 

That sounded really good and I like your backing track

Drew (Alcluith)
(02-02-2020, 09:34 AM)Alcluith Wrote:
Hi John,

I ave been trying again to get a little life back into this forum as I think t could be a great resource same as the Mandolin Cafe and the Session but with a more Scottish slant to it. 
Nigel  is so busy that I feel he cannot promote it the same as the other forums.
I was hoping that others would take up the challenge, I am sure a lot more use Nigel's website, as at the great resource it,   for Scottish tunes and songs. But I feel the Forum could be used more for exchanging ideas, requests etc which would bring it alive.
Just seen your reply about the Waltz and appreciate the copyright issues.
Cheers
Drew (Alcluith)

Thanks Drifter

See John's reply 

cheers

Drew (Alcluith)

(02-02-2020, 09:34 AM)John Kelly Wrote:

Hi John

Thank you for that waltz info, I was able to get it from Gordon's website along with a couple of other tunes, including the lovely "The Angels of Dunblane".  also from your guidance I play "The Furrows End" another of his composition.

cheers

Drew
Hi Gents.  Here, I hope, is a link to The Furrow's End I recorded about six years ago with Michael Pastucha as a collaboration via the Mandolin Cafe website.  We e-mailed each other our tracks and created the final version of the tune, then Michael added the pictures and created the video.  I have since been doing similar collaborations with Ginny Aitchison who lives in Ontario, and they are findable via the Song-A-Week group on the MC site.
The Furrow's End
[url=https://youtu.be/lF2MmiZSIsc][/url]