Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B flat anyone?
It's true that fiddles, mandolins etc can play in any key but it's not always easy just to jump into a different key unless you are really familiar with the tune. It involves changing or adapting you fingering unlike just swapping a whistle or moothie.
So while many of us can and do play tunes in flat keys, these are usually "worked out" and practised before hand rather than just joining in "on the hoof".

I' d suggest too that even Alistair and Adam will feel more comfortable in a session situation with the more common keys unless they are playing material known to them and their friends.

I've no objections to people playing more unusual tunes in different keys although I also believe that it's best if a session is as inclusive as possible.

Even at the harp festival, they tend to play music in the more common keys in the session to include other instruments even although much of the harp repertoire is in flat keys.

By the way, B flat isn't too much of an issue on the mandolin etc. It's easy to use a capo when playing with pipers and many fiddlers will just tune up their instrument by a semi tone.

Messages In This Thread
B flat anyone? - by Jack Campin - 02-12-2016, 04:25 PM
RE: B flat anyone? - by JAJ - 02-12-2016, 05:50 PM
RE: B flat anyone? - by George - 04-12-2016, 11:26 AM
RE: B flat anyone? - by JAJ - 04-12-2016, 12:00 PM
RE: B flat anyone? - by Jack Campin - 04-12-2016, 01:44 PM
RE: B flat anyone? - by JAJ - 04-12-2016, 01:57 PM