Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gatherer's Grand Collection
(01-09-2016, 10:10 AM)John Kelly Wrote: Hi Alistair, your point about the G natural and G# both being in The Balkan Hills is an interesting one and I have seen this very often in many tunes where the original pipe tune is played by other instruments, such as the fiddle, and the G naturals are changed to G# by the players.  I think it may be an attempt to get the scale to suit the key - Pipes give the notes of A mixolydian mode whereas the key signature is D major with just the 2 sharps, the G# missing from the mode.  Pipe tunes written in D major can render the notes of this scale with the F# and C# whereas pipe tunes in A mix, starting/ending on an A note, still only have the two sharps, so do not allow the scale of A major to be played.  Pipers are clever in that they rarely put the key signature on their scores!

Many non-pipe tunes are conversely adapted by pipers, who have to play the G natural, as you say.  I am thinking of tunes like Rowantree in the key of A major  (pipers play the G natural in the second part of the tune) and there are many other Scottish favourites which pipe bands have added to their repertoires over the years.  The late Andy Stewart made a good living out of adding lyrics to well-known pipe tunes - A Scottish Soldier, Take me Back, etc, and if I recall the tunes were adapted with the G being sharp, but I might be in error here.

Many thanks John.
I would prefer if pipe tunes were not altered for other instruments, but I can understand why it happens.
As a diatonic (and dynamic) moothie player what is really annoying is when there are some G#s and some G naturals, especially in the same bar as here.
As you may know Hohner produced a "Highlander" double sided harmonica a few years ago, with D on one side and Amix (A but with G naturals) on the other. I bought one, but later discovered (realised?) that all unmodified pipe tunes can be played on a diatonic D harmonica (in what I think is called "cross-harp" mode among those who know about these things). Since this epiphany I have been relearning to play all the pipe tunes I know cross harp on a D, though I still resort to the Highlander sometimes, because it's so much easier. "When the Battle's O'er" is a good example. In the Caleerie Buskers it's unmodified, whereas in the Sandy Bell's moothie session we play it in "straight A" (not that I think anyone would notice).

(08-08-2016, 08:39 PM)nigelgatherer Wrote: In my idle moments I've put together two new digital books, the first two volumes of what I'm calling "Gatherer's Grand Collection". The contents are mostly in sets of two or three tunes, they're all Scottish, and they're all tunes I like. At the moment they only exist in standard notation, but mandiolin tab versions will appear at some point.

Gatherer's Grand Collection Volume the First

Gatherer's Grand Collection Volume the Second

Any problems with downloading, let me know.

Nigel

Another small query Nigel.
Tune 38 in Volume 1 ("Highland Cradle Song") is attributed to Scott Skinner, but I think this is not the Skinner tune, but a pipe tune of the same name, which we played for a slow march in the BB band I was a drummer in in the fifties, and for which I have always wanted to find the music. Don't know if it's traditional, or if not who wrote it.
There's a very nice rendering of Skinner's tune on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drM4STf1EiU
I have known this tune too for as long as I can remember, but don't have the music for it.

Messages In This Thread
Gatherer's Grand Collection - by nigelgatherer - 08-08-2016, 08:39 PM
RE: Gatherer's Grand Collection - by John Kelly - 11-08-2016, 11:22 AM
RE: Gatherer's Grand Collection - by Eric R - 11-08-2016, 03:37 PM
RE: Gatherer's Grand Collection - by John Kelly - 11-08-2016, 04:36 PM
RE: Gatherer's Grand Collection - by JAJ - 24-08-2016, 10:19 AM
RE: Gatherer's Grand Collection - by Alistair - 31-08-2016, 07:58 PM
RE: Gatherer's Grand Collection - by John Kelly - 01-09-2016, 10:10 AM
RE: Gatherer's Grand Collection - by Alistair - 01-09-2016, 11:59 AM
RE: Gatherer's Grand Collection - by Alistair - 01-09-2016, 03:38 PM
RE: Gatherer's Grand Collection - by Jack Campin - 26-09-2016, 07:01 PM
RE: Gatherer's Grand Collection - by Alistair - 26-09-2016, 08:27 PM