Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Last Waltz
I am posting this one primarily for John Kelly, to ask him a really big favour.

My Wife's grandfather died when she was only seven but remembers that he regularly played piano at family gatherings.  After her mother's death we discovered some old  hand written music books including some original tunes and words written by him.

I have tried to transfer a couple into mandolin tabs and I have attached my attempt at his tune "The Last Waltz" which we believe was written by him for his wife about when the first met.   He also wrote an alternative to Loch Lomond for a newspaper competition which he came in second, not bad for a Geordie. ( I have attached this as well, just for interest) as I feel both are very much in the style of the time written around late 20s early 30s and would welcome your thoughts. 

My request for John is would you consider playing this for my wife, on your YouTube channel to allow her to heard it properly rather than my poor attempts? 

regards

Drew Davidson

Attached Files
.pdf   Loch Lomond NU Man.pdf (Size: 993.38 KB / Downloads: 3)
.pdf   The Last Waltz.pdf (Size: 288.39 KB / Downloads: 5)
(22-01-2018, 11:56 AM)Alcluith Wrote: I am posting this one primarily for John Kelly, to ask him a really big favour.

My Wife's grandfather died when she was only seven but remembers that he regularly played piano at family gatherings.  After her mother's death we discovered some old  hand written music books including some original tunes and words written by him.

I have tried to transfer a couple into mandolin tabs and I have attached my attempt at his tune "The Last Waltz" which we believe was written by him for his wife about when the first met.   He also wrote an alternative to Loch Lomond for a newspaper competition which he came in second, not bad for a Geordie. ( I have attached this as well, just for interest) as I feel both are very much in the style of the time written around late 20s early 30s and would welcome your thoughts. 

My request for John is would you consider playing this for my wife, on your YouTube channel to allow her to heard it properly rather than my poor attempts? 

regards

Drew Davidson

Hi Drew,
I have sent you a PM re this request.  Thanks for sending the tunes.
(23-01-2018, 06:46 PM)John Kelly Wrote:
(22-01-2018, 11:56 AM)Alcluith Wrote: I am posting this one primarily for John Kelly, to ask him a really big favour.

regards

Drew Davidson

Hi Drew,
I have sent you a PM re this request.  Thanks for sending the tunes.
All

John has sent me a copy of the Last Waltz played on Octave mandolin and both my wife and myself have enjoyed listening to this.  I have to give him a big "Thank You" for taking the time to record this for us.

Thanks John

cheers

Drew
Glad it is of use, Drew. It is an interesting tune with some fine sequences.
(26-01-2018, 06:29 PM)John Kelly Wrote: Glad it is of use, Drew.  It is an interesting tune with some fine sequences.

John

I feel I am getting grips with this tune thanks to listening to your playing. I am using my Mandolin and trying on my Tenor Guitar and I feel the Tenor Guitar compliments the tune better. 

Again thanks for taking the time to record this.

cheers

Drew
(06-02-2018, 11:45 AM)Alcluith Wrote:
(26-01-2018, 06:29 PM)John Kelly Wrote: Glad it is of use, Drew.  It is an interesting tune with some fine sequences.

John

I feel I am getting grips with this tune thanks to listening to your playing. I am using my Mandolin and trying on my Tenor Guitar and I feel the Tenor Guitar compliments the tune better. 

Again thanks for taking the time to record this.

cheers

Drew

Glad to have been of help, Drew.  This is what the forum is for, I'd say.  It can be very quiet on this site, but it is an excellent resource for all of us.