Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sons of Glencoe
(14-10-2016, 07:20 PM)John Kelly Wrote: I am going back many years to my youth and the knee of my grandmother from whom I heard so many Gaelic airs (she was a Cameron of Locheil)!

I'm impressed by your ancestry. Some years ago one of my skiing pals, 'The Old Store at Kentallen', was shopping in Fort William when he was suddenly abandoned by the sales assistant. He soon discovered that the entire staff were at the front door welcoming in 'Locheil'!

Eric
Not familiar with either tune, but looked at both versions offered by JK and JAJ, the latter being in Cm. Something rang loud bells re the A tune of JK's transcription, then the penny dropped: almost identical to first half of "The Rose of Tralee"! However the B tune, or second half is different. However, as we know, many tunes appear on both sides of the Irish Sea, with each claiming them as their own!  Wink
(16-10-2016, 08:09 AM)Trish Santer Wrote: Not familiar with either tune, but looked at both versions offered by JK and JAJ, the latter being in Cm. Something rang loud bells re the A tune of JK's transcription, then the penny dropped: almost identical to first half of "The Rose of Tralee"! However the B tune, or second half is different. However, as we know, many tunes appear on both sides of the Irish Sea, with each claiming them as their own!  Wink

Trish,

Thank you for that, I felt the tune was familiar but thought it was because  Ron, one of our members,had played it to us.  The Rose of Tralee was one of my wife's grans party songs and we often listened to her singing it. 

cheers

Drew 

Alcluith
That's an interesting air that JAJ has given the link to, and not one I know.

Trish, you are right about my transcription - very close to "Ra Pale Moon was Shinin", as Rose of Tralee is intoned by many maudlin drunks as their party piece! I may well be combining memories of Glencoe and Tralee and coming up with some sort of amalgam. Don't think my grannie sang Rose of Tralee, and certainly not in Gaelic, her first language.
I did a bit more searching, both on Google and iTunes on "Lament for Glencoe" and it seems there are quite a few "hits" for this, and recordings, including a Glencoe ("a Lament") tune by James Scott Skinner on the Aberdeen University website: however, they all seemed to be different tunes, and I suppose it's not surprising that people feel motivated to write tunes for the events of the 17th century. There are all sorts, from wax cylinder recordings to pipe and fiddle versions, and Kris Drever and Eamonn Coyne doing an instrumental duet on guitar and tenor guitar.
I also looked up "Sons of Glencoe" and Alastair McDonald has recorded a song by this name on one of his many albums - you can find it on iTunes, but it seemed to be a different set of lyrics, so may not be the tune Alcuith was looking for.
(16-10-2016, 11:48 PM)Trish Santer Wrote: I did a bit more searching, both on Google and iTunes on "Lament for Glencoe" and it seems there are quite a few "hits" for this, and recordings, including a Glencoe ("a Lament") tune by James Scott Skinner on the Aberdeen University website: however, they all seemed to be different tunes, and I suppose it's not surprising that people feel motivated to write tunes for the events of the 17th century. There are all sorts, from wax cylinder recordings to pipe and fiddle versions, and Kris Drever and Eamonn Coyne doing an instrumental duet on guitar and tenor guitar.
I also looked up "Sons of Glencoe" and Alastair McDonald has recorded a song by this name on one of his many albums - you can find it on iTunes, but it seemed to be a different set of lyrics, so may not be the tune Alcuith was looking for.

Trish/John
Both the words and tune by John are, I'm sure,  the ones that Ron played last Wednesday night. I already had Alastair McDonald's "Massacre of Glencoe" and found his "Lament for Gencoe" I also found  another version of the Lament  also called "Great is my Sorrow" but Johns version was the one I thought was the version Ron played but  listening to the "Rose of Tralee" it may have been that familiar tune that I remember although John's second half also seams familiar. I will find out more on Wednesday night and report back.
Thanks for all your help

Drew
Alcluith
Roll on Wednesday, Drew! We are all looking forward to the next episode of this thread and waiting to see what comes next and what other tunes/lyrics might well surface. This is one of the joys of being on a forum like this one - the amount of information that can be accumulated is often huge.
(17-10-2016, 05:10 PM)John Kelly Wrote: Roll on Wednesday, Drew!  We are all looking forward to the next episode of this thread and waiting to see what comes next and what other tunes/lyrics might well surface.  This is one of the joys of being on a forum like this one - the amount of information that can be accumulated  is often huge.

Well John K the Lyrics were 100% and the tune so close as it did not matter, Ron has a few frills added, but he tends to do that anyway.

Thanks for your assistance and interest.

On a separate front I note you use MuseScore, which I also use,  and I use PluckedStrings.sf2 for synthesiser and Mando Gibson Oval for the mixer, to try to produce something like a Mandolin, but its not really very close,  do you use anything different?
Unfortunately I cannot upload an mp3 of the MuseScore synthesised tune to let you hear it.

cheers

Drew
Hi Drew, glad to hear we were on target with the song, and that Ron augments the tunes with his own embellishments. That is what trad music has grown up around, I'd say, especially in the fully aural and oral traditions.

Re synthesisers, the main one I use is Key Rig, which I got as part of a midi keyboard package from M-Audio some time back. I also like a free VST effect called Cellofan which gives a reasonable cello sound. Other than those, I record my instruments live through microphones when I am committing to a recording. I very rarely use synth sounds.

With Musescore I just use whatever the General Midi sound is of the instrument I have put on the score.

John