The Gathering Forum
Jim Reid Tunes - Printable Version

+- The Gathering Forum (http://www.nigelgatherer.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Music (http://www.nigelgatherer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Scottish Music (http://www.nigelgatherer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Jim Reid Tunes (/showthread.php?tid=64)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Jim Reid Tunes - Alcluith - 16-02-2017

(16-02-2017, 01:19 PM)John Kelly Wrote: Not a tune I know, A, but you've made a fine job of getting the standard notation, TAB and lyrics all co-ordinated.  What software did you use for this?

If you are having a go at Norland Wind (The Wild Geese) I would be happy to check it out for you as I know this one quite well.  The thing with any song is that the notation will not always reflect the way the individual singer interprets the song and decides on phrasing - true too of course with tunes!  

John

Hi John

Used MuseScore, I set up my own blank template for mandolin and it has a plugin that imports ABC as well, but not very well. I do not think this one is very good as I was struggling with it on my Anytune player, when I slowed it down it was confusing me, so I just went for what I heard at 100% speed

cheers  

Alcluith

RE: Jim Reid Tunes - John Kelly - 17-02-2017

I thought it might have been. I use it too and it does all I need and an awful lot more I have not even looked at yet. I Like how you can set up instruments of your choice, and I've tried the abc import as well. It worked well on the files I tried it with.
Looking forward to your next postings, Alcluith

RE: Jim Reid Tunes - Eric R - 17-02-2017

(17-02-2017, 10:02 AM)John Kelly Wrote: I thought it might have been.  I use it too and it does all I need and an awful lot more I have not even looked at yet.  I Like how you can set up instruments of your choice, and I've tried the abc import as well.  It worked well on the files I tried it with.
Looking forward to your next postings, Alcluith

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but since abc converters have been mentioned I wonder if you can suggest a 'safe' one please? Only I used to use the web-based concertina.net, but this is not operational any more, and on downloading a pc-based one the other day i began to suspect there might well be a conflict with my 64-bit Windows 7 system. I swiftly did a full system restore, and all seems to be OK now, but these days I am twitchy about downloading anything unless it comes highly recommended. All tried and tested suggestions will be warmly welcomed. Many thanks. Eric.

RE: Jim Reid Tunes - John Kelly - 18-02-2017

The two programs I use for abc are EasyABC 1.3.3 and ABCEdit, but I am still on 32-bit Windows 7, Eric, so cannot say whether they would interfere with a 64-bit set-up such as you are using. I must admit I use the two less often now that I am using MuseScore. Or is the converter you are asking about a different beast?

RE: Jim Reid Tunes - Eric R - 19-02-2017

(18-02-2017, 10:50 AM)John Kelly Wrote: The two programs I use for abc are EasyABC 1.3.3 and ABCEdit, but I am still on 32-bit Windows 7, Eric, so cannot say whether they would interfere with a 64-bit set-up such as you are using.  I must admit I use the two less often now that I am using MuseScore.  Or is the converter you are asking about a different beast?

Very many thanks for your two suggestions John, which are warmly welcomed. I'll have a look at these and must also revisit MuseScore while I am at it. This lack of upwards compatibility can be a real pain at times; I had to buy fresh photographic software when I switched to a 64-bit machine, and on trying to resurrect an old Nikon Coolscan IV slide scanner, I found the only way it would would work was to connect it to an old MacBookPro I had lying around, since the O/S system on it is sufficiently ancient to accept the driver!

Best wishes,
Eric

RE: Jim Reid Tunes - Jack Campin - 21-02-2017

I keep a list of ABC converters on my home page. If I've left one out please let me know. All the ones I list are safe and work well.

http://www.campin.me.uk

RE: Jim Reid Tunes - Eric R - 21-02-2017

(21-02-2017, 02:06 AM)Jack Campin Wrote: I keep a list of ABC converters on my home page.  If I've left one out please let me know.  All the ones I list are safe and work well.

http://www.campin.me.uk

Many thanks Jack. I'll most likely stick with a web-based one. You have an interesting web page. Eric.

RE: Jim Reid Tunes - nigelgatherer - 26-02-2017

I've finally had time to listen to "Up the Noran Water," a poem by Helen Cruikshank set to music by Jim Reid. Here's the way I hear it:

[Image: vU70OKC.jpg]

RE: Jim Reid Tunes - nigelgatherer - 26-02-2017

...and here's "The Wild Geese".

[Image: JKfEbyj.jpg]

RE: Jim Reid Tunes - Alcluith - 27-02-2017

(26-02-2017, 02:24 PM)nigelgatherer Wrote: I've finally had time to listen to "Up the Noran Water," a poem by Helen Cruikshank set to music by Jim Reid. Here's the way I hear it:

[Image: vU70OKC.jpg]

Thank you Nigel, I think I got about 60% correct on this but there were some areas that I just could not get the notes.   May be something for the future of Monday nights is to discuss playing by ear and maybe as a separate  discussion how to produce the dots from what you hear?

Alcluith

(26-02-2017, 03:04 PM)nigelgatherer Wrote: ...and here's "The Wild Geese".

[Image: JKfEbyj.jpg]

This on I just did not have a clue but got some dots online but felt they were not right so try to adjust them without much success, so again same as above regarding playing by ear.

Alcluith