The Gathering Forum
Sons of Glencoe - Printable Version

+- The Gathering Forum (http://www.nigelgatherer.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Music (http://www.nigelgatherer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Scottish Music (http://www.nigelgatherer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Sons of Glencoe (/showthread.php?tid=30)

Pages: 1 2

Sons of Glencoe - Alcluith - 13-10-2016

I have been searching the net for two tunes without success Sad and I was wondering if anyone would have the dots for

Sons of Glencoe or
Road to Gruner Bay( not sure of the spelling of this piece Blush )

regards

Drew Davidson
Alcluith

RE: Sons of Glencoe - nigelgatherer - 14-10-2016

Hi, Alcluith. It might help to know where you heard the tunes. But let's see...

"Sons of Glencoe" was a tune popular with fiddler's rallies and Strathspey & Reel societies, so perhaps forum member JAJ will have a copy. Failing that I have four recordings of it in the attic, so I can do a transciption for you.

I haven't heard of the second one.

RE: Sons of Glencoe - Alcluith - 14-10-2016

(14-10-2016, 09:09 AM)nigelgatherer Wrote: Hi, Alcluith. It might help to know where you heard the tunes. But let's see...

"Sons of Glencoe" was a tune popular with fiddler's rallies and Strathspey & Reel societies, so perhaps forum member JAJ will have a copy. Failing that I have four recordings of it in the attic, so I can do a transciption for you.

I haven't heard of the second one.

Nigel,

We have a Mandolin club in Alexandria, runs on a Wednesday nights  and we are looking to learn some new pieces. Ron, our oldest member (82), plays both these tunes, but as he only learns to play by ear and has no music reading or writing skills, were were hoping to get the dots so we all could play along with him. 
Ron is now partially blind, suffers from loss of hearing and arthritis in the hands but he can put us all to shame with his playing skills and music knowledge, plucking tunes and songs out of his head at a drop of a hat.  All his instruments he built himself, of course, he is unable to do this anymore, but is a great help in setting up our instruments.  

He also plays and sing a local tune "The Braes of Bonhull" which is on the Cutha album "On the Braes" which I have not been able to get a copy as yet.

I have probably got the name of the second one wrong, so I will ask again this week, or maybe make a recording of it.

Cheers

Drew
Alcuith

RE: Sons of Glencoe - Jack Campin - 14-10-2016

Maybe the second is called "Road to Gruinard Bay"? - fairly likely to be a place someone would write a tune for, but I don't know of one.

(14-10-2016, 12:08 PM)Jack Campin Wrote: Maybe the second is called "Road to Gruinard Bay"? - fairly likely to be a place someone would write a tune for, but I don't know of one.

Jack

that is probably right, my spelling is never good at the best of time.

Alcluith

RE: Sons of Glencoe - John Kelly - 14-10-2016

I was thinking the same as Jack about the second tune, Drew. Gruinard Bay is famous as it was on Gruinard Island that the Government did the infamous anthrax tests during World War 2, releasing the virus on the unsuspecting sheep population! The island was then quarantined for nearly 50 years, so hazardous was it reckoned to be, but hey, it was up in the Highlands between Gairloch and Ullapool, so who was paying attention?

Meant to add this in too; I remember as a wee boy a song about the massacre of Glencoe and I have traced the poem it came from, I think. This might well be the one which would fit the first tune you are talking about. Here it is and you can see if the words fit the tune!

Lament for Glencoe
Mary Maxwell Campbell

YE loyal Macdonalds, awaken! awaken!
Why sleep ye so soundly in face of the foe?
The clouds pass away, and the morning is breaking;
But when will awaken the Sons of Glencoe?
They lay down to rest with their thoughts on the morrow, 5
Nor dreamt that life’s visions were melting like snow;
But daylight has dawned in the silence of sorrow,
And ne’er shall awaken the Sons of Glencoe.
O, dark was the moment that brought to our shealing
The black-hearted foe with his treacherous smile. 10
We gave him our food with a brother’s own feeling;
For then we believed there was truth in Argyle.
The winds howl a warning, the red lightning flashes,
We heap up our fagots a welcome to show;
But traitors are brooding on death near the ashes 15
Now cold on the hearths of the Sons of Glencoe.
My clansmen, strike boldly,—let none of ye count on
The mercy of cowards who wrought us such woe;
The wail of their spirits, when heard on the mountain,
Must surely awaken the Sons of Glencoe. 20
Ah! cruel as adders, ye stung them while sleeping;
But vengeance shall track ye wherever ye go.
Our loved ones lie murdered; no sorrow nor weeping
Shall ever awaken the Sons of Glencoe.

Hope this helps!

(14-10-2016, 02:59 PM)John Kelly Wrote: I was thinking the same as Jack about the second tune, Drew.  Gruinard Bay is famous as it was on Gruinard Island that the Government did the infamous anthrax tests during World War 2, releasing the virus on the unsuspecting sheep population!  The island was then quarantined for nearly 50 years, so hazardous was it reckoned to be, but hey, it was up in the Highlands between Gairloch and Ullapool, so who was paying attention?

Meant to add this in too;  I remember as a wee boy a song about the massacre of Glencoe and I have traced the poem it came from, I think.  This might well be the one which would fit the first tune you are talking about.  Here it is and you can see if the words fit the tune!

Lament for Glencoe
Mary Maxwell Campbell

YE loyal Macdonalds, awaken! awaken!
 Why sleep ye so soundly in face of the foe?
The clouds pass away, and the morning is breaking;
 But when will awaken the Sons of Glencoe?
They lay down to rest with their thoughts on the morrow,        5
 Nor dreamt that life’s visions were melting like snow;
But daylight has dawned in the silence of sorrow,
 And ne’er shall awaken the Sons of Glencoe.
O, dark was the moment that brought to our shealing
 The black-hearted foe with his treacherous smile.        10
We gave him our food with a brother’s own feeling;
 For then we believed there was truth in Argyle.
The winds howl a warning, the red lightning flashes,
 We heap up our fagots a welcome to show;
But traitors are brooding on death near the ashes        15
 Now cold on the hearths of the Sons of Glencoe.
My clansmen, strike boldly,—let none of ye count on
 The mercy of cowards who wrought us such woe;
The wail of their spirits, when heard on the mountain,
 Must surely awaken the Sons of Glencoe.        20
Ah! cruel as adders, ye stung them while sleeping;
 But vengeance shall track ye wherever ye go.
Our loved ones lie murdered; no sorrow nor weeping
 Shall ever awaken the Sons of Glencoe.

Hope this helps!

John

yes this is the song's words I have, the tune is a bit of a lament but cannot find it anywhere

cheers

Alcluith

RE: Sons of Glencoe - John Kelly - 14-10-2016

Drew, having looked again at the words and your confirming that they are the ones for the tune, I began to try to recall the tune and as far as I can remember it goes more or less as I have transcribed below - I am going back many years to my youth and the knee of my grandmother from whom I heard so many Gaelic airs (she was a Cameron of Locheil)!

There will be variations I'm sure and I won't have got all the notes, but I tried singing along to the lyrics and the tune seemed to come back to me as I progressed.

RE: Sons of Glencoe - Alcluith - 15-10-2016

(14-10-2016, 07:20 PM)John Kelly Wrote: Drew, having looked again at the words and your confirming that they are the ones for the tune, I began to try to recall the tune and as far as I can remember it goes more or less as I have transcribed below - I am going back many years to my youth and the knee of my grandmother from whom I heard so many Gaelic airs (she was a Cameron of Locheil)!

There will be variations I'm sure and I won't have got all the notes, but I tried singing along to the lyrics and the tune seemed to come back to me as I progressed.

John

thank you for taking the time to do this for me it is much appreciated, we will try it this Wednesday and get back to you.

RE: Sons of Glencoe - JAJ - 15-10-2016

Hi Drew,

I'm not familiar with these tunes but could this be another possibility?

http://folktunefinder.com/tunes/162206    

obviously in a different key?

As for the second tune, I don't think I can help at the moment. I know a tune called Enard Bay but I don't think it's the same one as it is only played locally and written by one of my fellow fiddlers.