The Gathering Forum
Tune of the Week #97: Maidens - Printable Version

+- The Gathering Forum (http://www.nigelgatherer.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Music (http://www.nigelgatherer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Tune of the Week (http://www.nigelgatherer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Tune of the Week #97: Maidens (/showthread.php?tid=144)

Pages: 1 2

Tune of the Week #97: Maidens - Alcluith - 18-02-2020

This Jig  written by Andrew Rankine  which he said is named after 11th hole a Turnberry Golf Course, but it reminds me a the little village of Maidens, nearby, where my mother had a caravan for many years. We spent a lot of summers there with the family. 

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Alcluith

[attachment=55]

RE: New tune for February - Maidens - Drifter - 20-02-2020

Thanks for posting this one.  It has a big range going form C to A which is too much for my harmonica.  I transposed it into C and then altered the 4th and 5th bars which makes it playable.  Quite like the tune.

RE: New tune for February - Maidens - Alcluith - 21-02-2020

(20-02-2020, 05:36 PM)Drifter Wrote: Thanks for posting this one.  It has a big range going form C to A which is too much for my harmonica.  I transposed it into C and then altered the 4th and 5th bars which makes it playable.  Quite like the tune.

No problem Drifter,

this was written by an accordion player so I think it will sound good on the harmonica.

How about a tune from yourself, what is your current favourite, or maybe a tune you are having problems with?

cheers 
Alcuith

RE: New tune for February - Maidens - Drifter - 21-02-2020

Hi Alcuith,  I admire your attempts to generate interest in this forum and agree with you on that.  I am doing a couple of Nigel's tunes at the moment but can't get them up to speed.  I have also been looking at another tune, "Now I'm Easy" by Eric Bogle.  This tune is, I believe copyright, and that makes me question the whole copyright thing.  The song is on Youtube and the notation is on the ABC website.  My question is,  "How can something be copyright if it is on the Internet?" 
I think this song is a "Folk Song".  If that is the case then it is a song for the "People" to share and play.  How can that be  copyright?

RE: New tune for February - Maidens - John Kelly - 21-02-2020

(21-02-2020, 07:27 PM)Drifter Wrote: Hi Alcuith,  I admire your attempts to generate interest in this forum and agree with you on that.  I am doing a couple of Nigel's tunes at the moment but can't get them up to speed.  I have also been looking at another tune, "Now I'm Easy" by Eric Bogle.  This tune is, I believe copyright, and that makes me question the whole copyright thing.  The song is on Youtube and the notation is on the ABC website.  My question is,  "How can something be copyright if it is on the Internet?" 
I think this song is a "Folk Song".  If that is the case then it is a song for the "People" to share and play.  How can that be  copyright?

Interesting idea you bring up here, Drifter.  Eric Bogle is alive and well and still performing and as the writer of the tune/song he owns copyright and intellectual property rights on this.  Even were he no longer alive copyiright would still be assigned to his heritors or record company or publisher.  I believe that copyright lasted for 50 years after the demise of the composer/write, but I may have this wrong.  It is labelled as "folk" but that is simply a label and does not suggest that it is a folk song from the distant past, one of that great body of traditional tunes/songs on which copyright cannot be assigned.
The fact that the tune exists on The Session and appears in various versions on YouTube does not mean it is not protected bycopyright laws; it is simply that it is there and nobody has attempted to have it removed.  YouTube has been known to ask for postings to be removed if the copyright is challenged, though in all my postings there of tunes I have not had problems.  I generally acknowledge the composer in the blurb  or on the video itself.
Interesting to read others' views on this, and yes, it is good that Drew is keeping the forum active.

RE: New tune for February - Maidens - Alcluith - 22-02-2020

(21-02-2020, 08:19 PM)John Kelly Wrote:
(21-02-2020, 07:27 PM)Drifter Wrote: Hi Alcuith,  I admire your attempts to generate interest in this forum and agree with you on that.  I am doing a couple of Nigel's tunes at the moment but can't get them up to speed.  I have also been looking at another tune, "Now I'm Easy" by Eric Bogle.  This tune is, I believe copyright, and that makes me question the whole copyright thing.  The song is on Youtube and the notation is on the ABC website.  My question is,  "How can something be copyright if it is on the Internet?" 

Interesting idea you bring up here, Drifter.  Eric Bogle is alive and well and still performing and as the writer of the tune/song he owns copyright and intellectual property rights on this.  Even were he no longer alive copyiright would still be assigned to his heritors or record company or publisher.  I believe that copyright lasted for 50 years after the demise of the composer/write, but I may have this wrong.  It is labelled as "folk" but that is simply a label and does not suggest that it is a folk song from the distant past, one of that great body of traditional tunes/songs on which copyright cannot be assigned.
The fact that the tune exists on The Session and appears in various versions on YouTube does not mean it is not protected bycopyright laws; it is simply that it is there and nobody has attempted to have it removed.  YouTube has been known to ask for postings to be removed if the copyright is challenged, though in all my postings there of tunes I have not had problems.  I generally acknowledge the composer in the blurb  or on the video itself.
Interesting to read others' views on this, and yes, it is good that Drew is keeping the forum active.
Thanks to Drifter and John on assisting with trying to install some life into this Forum.
With the copyright issue I believe it is to do with performance rather that anything else, If you use a tune in a paid performance then you have to pay the writer his royalty fees. I have asked a couple of writer's for their tunes and both had no problem as long as I was using them for my own use and not in a paid performance. I know from Mandolessons website there is strong copyright problems with YouTube who will take down your work, if you breach copyright issues, but again that's in USA. I have only had one instance and that was with MuseScore where one of my scores was challenged and blocked, which I challenged as it was an old Scottish tune from 1900s. Thereafter I stopped putting up tunes into their website, sad because it does restrict sharing with others.

Drew
(Alcluith)

RE: Tune of the Week #97: Maidens - nigelgatherer - 24-02-2020

Tune of the Week #97: Maidens

[Image: TOW_097t.jpg]

Standard Notation with mandolin tablature

Thanks to Alcluith for this.

RE: Tune of the Week #97: Maidens - Alcluith - 24-02-2020

(24-02-2020, 01:20 PM)nigelgatherer Wrote: Tune of the Week #97: Maidens

[Image: Maidnt-256.jpg]

Standard Notation with mandolin tablature

Thanks to Alcluith for this.

Hi Nigel

your are welcome, good to give something back after a. your good work and teaching. I have The Complete Andrew Rankine Collection of Scottish Country Dance Tunes, if there are any others that you fancy.

Alcluith

RE: Tune of the Week #97: Maidens - nigelgatherer - 26-02-2020

I don't have that collection, Alcuith, but I like Rankine's tunes. I must see if I can obtain a copy.

RE: Tune of the Week #97: Maidens - Alcluith - 26-02-2020

(26-02-2020, 07:22 AM)nigelgatherer Wrote: I don't have that collection, Alcuith, but I like Rankine's tunes. I must see if I can obtain a copy.

Nigel,

you can get a copy he book here.

http://www.rscds-newcastle.org/page16.html

cheers

Drew