The Gathering Forum

Full Version: Argyllshire Workshop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm in the early stages of organising a mixed instrument workshop in Cairnbaan, beside the Crinan Canal in Argyllshire. At the moment I'm looking at mid-August. As you might know, I like to have themes for my workshops, so I'm thinking about what theme I could use. Perhaps "Canals" or tunes from the area. I'm still thinking... (Any suggestions welcome!). The format would be from about 10.30am to 4pm, with breaks for tea and lunch. I'm hoping to hire part of the Cairnbaan Hotel for the workshop, and there may be rooms available if anyone wished to stay. More details as I firm them up.
(30-04-2021, 07:57 AM)nigelgatherer Wrote: [ -> ]I'm in the early stages of organising a mixed instrument workshop in Cairnbaan, beside the Crinan Canal in Argyllshire. At the moment I'm looking at mid-August. As you might know, I like to have themes for my workshops, so I'm thinking about what theme I could use. Perhaps "Canals" or tunes from the area. I'm still thinking... (Any suggestions welcome!). The format would be from about 10.30am to 4pm, with breaks for tea and lunch. I'm hoping to hire part of the Cairnbaan Hotel for the workshop, and there may be rooms available if anyone wished to stay. More details as I firm them up.

Sounds like a fun venture, Nigel.  Keep me posted - Cairnbaan only about 60 miles from me and a beautiful spot.  I will pass on the info to my playing buddies around here.
Nigel

Sounds interesting and just within my travel range. Canal, Boat or Puffer tunes. Then the are aways John McLellan from Dunoon some great tunes. Look forward to details when they become available.

Drew
(05-05-2021, 07:47 PM)Alcluith Wrote: [ -> ]Nigel

Sounds interesting  and just within my travel range.  Canal, Boat or Puffer tunes. Then the are aways John McLellan from Dunoon some great tunes. Look forward to details when they become available.

Drew

Now that is an excellent idea, Drew.  I love John McLellan tunes, being a Dunoon resident since 1968!  They work so well on fiddle, accordion or mandolin family instruments.
Mmm, John McLellan tunes. Let's see what I can find...

1. 51st Division at Beaumont Hamel, The
  2. Angler, The
  3. Bells of Malta, The
  4. Benmore
  5. Bloody Fields of Flanders, The
  6. Bonnie Dunoon
  7. Bens of Jura (The Burning Sands of Egypt/The Road to the Isles)
  8. Campbelltown Kiltie Ball
  9. Chasing De Wet
  10. Colonel MacLean of Ardgour
  11. Cowal Gathering
  12. Dunloskin
  13. Fiddler's Joy, The
  14. Fall of Port Arthur, The
  15. Glen Caladh Castle
  16. Glen Finnart
  17. Glenmorag
  18. Glenstriven
  19. Highland Brigade at Magersfontein, The
  20. His Majesty King George Fifth's Welcome to Edinburgh
  21. Lochanside
  22. Men of Argyll
  23. My Home Town
  24. Pipe Major's Banner, The
  25. Rookery, The
  26. South Hall
  27. Stronsaul
  28. Surrender of Cronje, The
  29. Taking of Beaumont Hamel, The
  30. Wild McCraes, The

I'm sure there will be quite a few more. One problem is that his first collection, The Cowal Collection (1905) has a few composers, but none of the tunes have any attribution. I believe the majority are by McLellan, but how to tell?

I'll be assessing the body of tunes over the next week, although I'm wary of a whole workshop of pipe tunes.
Ah. I see there has been a new collection of his tunes published, so that will provide a definitive list. Only £15 - I think I'll buy it...
(08-05-2021, 09:46 AM)nigelgatherer Wrote: [ -> ]Ah. I see there has been a new collection of his tunes published, so that will provide a definitive list. Only £15 - I think I'll buy it...

If it is the collection I have, Nigel, maybe worth mentioning that it is all in pipe notation.  The book I am talking about is The Collected Works of PM John McLellan and is compiled by PM Bruce Campbell, back about 2010, I think.  Pipe notation is not a problem as long as the user remembers that it does not print key signatures, so all the Cs and Fs need to be sharpened, and for non-pipers the convention seems to favour sharpening the Gs (which are natural on the bagpipe chanter).  It is an excellent collection of Jock's tunes.
(08-05-2021, 06:21 PM)John Kelly Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-05-2021, 09:46 AM)nigelgatherer Wrote: [ -> ]Ah. I see there has been a new collection of his tunes published, so that will provide a definitive list. Only £15 - I think I'll buy it...

If it is the collection I have, Nigel, maybe worth mentioning that it is all in pipe notation.  The book I am talking about is The Collected Works of PM John McLellan and is compiled by PM Bruce Campbell, back about 2010, I think.  Pipe notation is not a problem as long as the user remembers that it does not print key signatures, so all the Cs and Fs need to be sharpened, and for non-pipers the convention seems to favour sharpening the Gs (which are natural on the bagpipe chanter).  It is an excellent collection of Jock's tunes.

I have a copy of "The bagpipe music of John McLellan 1875-1949" compiled by Dale Brown
which has some great tunes. I can list them if you want.

regards

Drew
I tried to buy it, Drew, but it seems sold out. What's fur ye will no go by ye.
(09-05-2021, 11:03 PM)nigelgatherer Wrote: [ -> ]I tried to buy it, Drew, but it seems sold out. What's fur ye will no go by ye.

Nigel/John,

I have included the content of the book, if there is anything you want from it let me know and I can copy it for you,

Drew

[attachment=60]
Pages: 1 2