The Gathering Forum

Full Version: Gracelands (Phil Cunningham)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here is my attempt at Phil Cunningham's air, Gracelands.  I could not find out any information about the tune.  
https://soundcloud.com/chris-wilson-1221...-harmonica
Drifter
Very nicely played, not one I have in my list as I have never found the mandolin tabs for it.
"The gentle light that wakes me" is another of his tunes that I think would sound good on the harmonica

Alcluith
Fine performance, Drifter. Great tone from that harmonica - what is the make and model?
(13-10-2020, 08:13 AM)Alcluith Wrote: [ -> ]Drifter
Very nicely played, not one I have in my list as I have never found the mandolin tabs for it.
"The gentle light that wakes me" is another of his tunes that I think would sound good on the harmonica

Alcluith

Thank you for the pdf.  I am always looking for new tunes.  I found Ali and Phil playing it on youtube.  it is very slow for a reel!  I wish people would put a metronome mark on their music.
(13-10-2020, 07:59 PM)John Kelly Wrote: [ -> ]Fine performance, Drifter.  Great tone from that harmonica - what is the make and model?

Hi John,  The "tone" is achieved by using a lot of EQ and some reverb.  The harmonica is a chromatic 10 hole Kmise which cost about £20.  The only thing it has going for it is that it has no valves (windsavers) which tend not to work well in cold environments.  (My house is not warm!)
I am struggling a bit at the moment with one of your tunes,  "Leaving Stoer"  which I think is supposed to be a slow air but is still quite fast enough for me.
Gracelands

[Image: q8SqYMj.jpg]

Inspired by Drifter's fab recording of this lovely tune, I've added it to my website.
(14-10-2020, 07:58 PM)Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-10-2020, 07:59 PM)John Kelly Wrote: [ -> ]Fine performance, Drifter.  Great tone from that harmonica - what is the make and model?

Hi John,  The "tone" is achieved by using a lot of EQ and some reverb.  The harmonica is a chromatic 10 hole Kmise which cost about £20.  The only thing it has going for it is that it has no valves (windsavers) which tend not to work well in cold environments.  (My house is not warm!)
I am struggling a bit at the moment with one of your tunes,  "Leaving Stoer"  which I think is supposed to be a slow air but is still quite fast enough for me.

Thanks, Drifter.  Not a model I have encountered.  I have just uploaded a version of Carrickfergus on my YT channel and inspird a bit by you I have included the melody on my Hohner Highlander (the one developed by the great Donald Black of Benderloch!) using the D side.  The other side is A mixolydian to enable the playing of pipe tunes - this was Donald's idea.
Does anyone know if there is a Phil Cunningham Tunebook? I am sure I seen a forum post stating they got the tune from his tune book, but cannot find the post!!!!!

Alcuith
(22-10-2020, 12:10 PM)Alcluith Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know if there is a Phil Cunningham Tunebook? I am sure I seen a forum post stating they got the tune from his tune book, but cannot find the post!!!!!

Alcuith

Don't know if a tunebook is available but he has a page on "The Session".
https://thesession.org/tunes/search?type...ingham%27s

Here is my attempt at "The House in Rose Valley"
https://soundcloud.com/chris-wilson-1221...-harmonica
Yes, Phil published "Vol.1" of his tunebook years ago (1995) with 54 tunes, but volume 2 never appeared. Daft, because there would definitely be a market for it. I expect one day there will be a giant collection brought out.
Pages: 1 2