The Gathering Forum

Full Version: Musings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since lockdown started I have been very busy creating and presenting online classes, sessions and workshops. This week I'm on holiday. Heuch! I feel I deserve it... Anyway, I've started thinking about what's going to happen next, as it looks like much of my online work will continue. 

I did two regular sessions which were successful, attracting people from places beyond Edinburgh and Glasgow (e.g. Philadelphia, Washington State, Nova Scotia, England, Ireland...). One germ of an idea is to develop the Wednesday Slow Session in a fun way: give it the name of a fictional pub, or a virtual tavern, into which people could drop in for a beer and a tune. 

That's it - as I said, just the germ of an idea, which I'll be working on. Any suggestions, ideas or requests would be most welcome.
(23-07-2020, 10:03 AM)nigelgatherer Wrote: [ -> ]Since lockdown started I have been very busy creating and presenting online classes, sessions and workshops. This week I'm on holiday. Heuch! I feel I deserve it... Anyway, I've started thinking about what's going to happen next, as it looks like much of my online work will continue. 

I did two regular sessions which were successful, attracting people from places beyond Edinburgh and Glasgow (e.g. Philadelphia, Washington State, Nova Scotia, England, Ireland...). One germ of an idea is to develop the Wednesday Slow Session in a fun way: give it the name of a fictional pub, or a virtual tavern, into which people could drop in for a beer and a tune. 

That's it - as I said, just the germ of an idea, which I'll be working on. Any suggestions, ideas or requests would be most welcome.

Nigel,

I would kick it off with the suggestion of "Gatherer's Inn" for virtual tavern. 

I have not attended any of your online sessions but having tried to play along with others during lockdown, I have found it impossible.  The latency and jitter makes it almost impossible to play together via any of the standard video platforms. 
I am aware that you can use a Program called "Reaper" with a ninjam plugin that apparently overcome this, as it uses a separate server to gather all the individuals players recording then combine them and send back to all that allowing them to play along in "real time", this is not a video only audio. 
For what I can see, and I'm no expert, the server is a public connection so you can join others randomly but not a closed group. There is a program from Ninjam that allows you to set up a private server, then can have individuals allows to join by invitation but again you would need someone to set this up.  Maybe someone knows more about this or something similar.

The  other ideas would be to post a list of tunes and get members to record and send them to someone experience in a DAW, like Reaper, to combine then and then post here in the forum. or  get members to  to do as Manolin Cafe's Tune of the week does and  record their videos and post them videos in the forum.  John Kelly does this regularly so he might be able to guide on recording and creating these videos as his are very good. 

cheers 
Drew
[Image: uDjCBVI.png]
Now, there is a man who is happy with his mandolin and his music! Great poster, Nigel.