The Gathering Forum

Full Version: Coronavirus Twitter page
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some of you might be able to contribute to this Twitter page.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/covidceilidh...%5Ehashtag
Drifter

good link, great to listen to given we have very little else to do but listen & play.

Another good site is the Mandolin Cafe - Song of the Week  Forum

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group...1a73d2a4b8

enjoy

Alcluith
Alcluith,  

Thanks for the link to the Mandolin Cafe.  First thing I found was a video by John Kelly, "Flower O' the Quern"  which is a nice slow tune.  Found the ABC file for the  tune and will give it a go.   Unfortunately the ABC file does not have the harmony which was nice.   i will really have to make an effort to learn how to write counterpoint.
I belong to a couple of harmonica forums but have not considered visiting those of other instruments.  I will now have to look around to see what is available.

Drifter
Thanks for the mention, Drifter! I posted that one yesterday over on the MC site in the Song-A-Week group, as a wee effort to keep folk in a happy and tranquil frame of mind! In fact I realise I have posted 5 tunes on my YouTube channel in the past week, as I have been doing lots of home-recording as a way of using my lockdown time creatively . The MC site works by posting your videos on YouTube or Vimeo then putting that link into the SAW group on the MC site. All great fun.

The arrangement I used is from one of Christine Martin's excellent publications, Ceol Na Fiddhle (Highland Tunes for the Fiddle) Volume 1. The ISBN is 1 871931 053. I stress that I have no commercial interest in the books she publishes!
(27-03-2020, 07:59 PM)John Kelly Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the mention, Drifter!  I posted that one yesterday over on the MC site in the Song-A-Week group, as a wee effort to keep folk in a happy and tranquil frame of mind!  In fact I realise I have posted 5 tunes on my YouTube channel in the past week, as I have been doing lots of home-recording as a way of using my lockdown time creatively .  The MC site works by posting your videos on YouTube or Vimeo then putting that link into the SAW group on the MC site.  All great fun.

The arrangement I used is from one of Christine Martin's excellent publications, Ceol Na Fiddhle (Highland Tunes for the Fiddle) Volume 1.  The ISBN is 1 871931 053.  I stress that I have no commercial interest in the books she publishes!

John

Yes another great tune, and arrangement  I was curious on your arrangements,  and these books look like a great source of these highland tunes.  As you know I have been using your YouTube tunes to play along with which has helped me a lot with timing and phrasing of these tunes, it certainly keeps me happy, tranquil and focuses my concentration, which take your mind off these trying times.

Drew
Here is my version of Flower O' the Quern.  I spent a long time trying to compose a harmony but gave up and just added a backing using BIAB.  Thanks to John for bringing this tune to my  attention.

https://soundcloud.com/chris-wilson-5339...-harmonica
That is a fine arrangement and lovely playing, Drifter. I like your use of BIAB. I used it a long time ago, not for taditional music, but somehow got out of the habit (started playing a lot more Scottish stuff). Your recording makes me think it might merit a revisit!
(28-03-2020, 11:28 PM)John Kelly Wrote: [ -> ]That is a fine arrangement and lovely playing, Drifter.  I like your use of BIAB.  I used it a long time ago, not for taditional music, but somehow got out of the habit (started playing a lot more Scottish stuff).  Your recording makes me think it might merit a revisit!
John,  I like your rendition of The Skye Glen Waltz on the Mandolin Cafe page.  When I first  saw the sheet music I thought the tune was very repetitive appearing to repeat every couple of bars or so.  I liked the way you started the first part slowly and then increased the pace achieving a great rhythm.  I will have to remember that tactic.  I can't find Blair playing it anywhere on the Internet.
(29-03-2020, 06:31 PM)Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-03-2020, 11:28 PM)John Kelly Wrote: [ -> ]That is a fine arrangement and lovely playing, Drifter.  I like your use of BIAB.  I used it a long time ago, not for taditional music, but somehow got out of the habit (started playing a lot more Scottish stuff).  Your recording makes me think it might merit a revisit!
John,  I like your rendition of The Skye Glen Waltz on the Mandolin Cafe page.  When I first  saw the sheet music I thought the tune was very repetitive appearing to repeat every couple of bars or so.  I liked the way you started the first part slowly and then increased the pace achieving a great rhythm.  I will have to remember that tactic.  I can't find Blair playing it anywhere on the Internet.

Hi Drifter, I think you might find a version by him on Spotify.  I do not use Spotify, but I believe you can sign up for a free account (which includes ads).
Thanks for your comments re Skye Glen.  I got the idea, I think, from an Andrew MacDonald CD where his band is playing the great pipe march Heights of Cassino and it begins with solo fiddle playing as a slow air before the accordion and the rest of the band come in in 6/8 tiime.