The Gathering Forum

Full Version: The Old Pensioner's Reel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Couple of questions on this one.

Does anyone have the sheet music with chords?

Have seen it played as a Scottish dance reel but other's say it's Irish any thoughts.

Alcluith
There is an Irish reel called The Old Pensioner, so I assume that's it. Here's how that great Irishman Nigel Gatherer plays it:

[Image: DHAwY9H.jpg]
Nigel,

Slightly different from the tune I had seen on The session. I was looking for the tune(s) that are on this https://youtu.be/HIQPOT6xyjA, is shown as Skye Session 2.

Drew
Ah, OK. It's not the right tune at all. The Pensioner Reel is actually a dance in a book called The Skye Collection 2, so it could have different tunes for the dance. I'll listen to the tunes to see if I recognise them, watch this space.
(15-03-2020, 08:36 AM)nigelgatherer Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, OK. It's not the right tune at all. The Pensioner Reel is actually a dance in a book called The Skye Collection 2, so it could have different tunes for the dance. I'll listen to the tunes to see if I recognise them, watch this space.

Sorry Nigel,

I misunderstood the whole video,  I thought it was the music and not the dance. so in fact there are several tunes being played which would make more sense when you think about it.

cheers

Drew